Image Collection opens in a new window, close it to return to this page.
Enquiries c/- R J Ward, MS 979, Monto Qld 4630.
CW 34 (above) official opening, 13 September 2003, following restoration.
Monto is located on the Burnett Highway (Hwy 17) 93 km southeast of Biloela and was a major stop on QR's Maryborough to Gladstone inland loop. When the first train arrived from the south in Spetember 1928 there was no road transport, just small trucks delivering goods to and from the railway. The railway was the community's connection to the world.
The line to the north was completed in 1931, by 1934 there were passenger services three times per week using a rail motor, and at its peak there were 27 trains per week. By 1985 semi-trailer units bagan taking over from the railway and today trains are an oddity... although there is a potential for coal and mineral traffic in the future.
Tthe Monto and District Historical and Cultural Centre is beside the Burnett Highway as you enter Monto from the north. Exhibits include agricultural machinery, historic buildings and a restored QR camp wagon (CW 34, photo above).
This site developed and maintained for Queensland's rail heritage providers. Contents provided for non-commercial use only and are copyright © A C Lynn Zelmer or as indicated. last updated: 22/12/11 [lz: lynn @ zelmeroz.com].