Image Collection opens in a new window, close it to return to this page.
c/- Post Office Finch Hatton, Qld 4756
Phone: 07 4958 3400
E-mail: finchhatton @ mcs.net.au
Located on Eungella Road, just as you enter town, with free entry. Contains an extensive photographic display and books on the history of Finch Hatton and surrounding areas.
The railway from Pinnacle to Finch Hatton was built as a shire tramway by the Pioneer Shire Council and opened in 1904. The station was originally know as Hatton; it's name was changed in 1906 to Pelion and a few months later to Finch Hatton. The government took over the tramway in 1910 and extended the railway to the base of the Eungella Range (Netherdale) in 1911. Services began to be withdrawn in 1977 and the line was later converted for sugar cane railway use.
John Kerr's 1991 book Top Mill in the Valley: Cattle Creek Sugar Mill, Finch Hatton documents the local sugar mill (1906-1990).
Sugar Mill railways
This site developed and maintained for Queensland's rail heritage providers. Contents provided for non-commercial use only and are copyright © A C Lynn Zelmer or as indicated. last updated: 20/12/11 [lz: lynn @ zelmeroz.com].